World Mental Health Day Tuesday 10 October 2023
World Mental Health Day (WMHD) is a day set up by the World Health Organisation and marked on 10 October every year.
The overall objective of World Mental Health Day is to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world and to mobilise efforts in support of mental health. This year’s theme, set by the World Federation for Mental Health, is “Mental health is a universal human right”.
This is the “right to be protected from mental health risks, the right to available, accessible, acceptable, and good quality care, and the right to liberty, independence and inclusion in the community. Having a mental health condition should never be a reason to deprive a person of their human rights or to exclude them from decisions about their own health.”
Mental Health is one of the pillars of Primordial Radio, and now more than ever with so many people struggling with their mental health, we wanted to share some ideas on how you can support yourself and others around you, today and everyday…
- Check out our mental health online hub, which is full of tips including new information on situational depression, relationships, trauma and self-compassion
- Times are really tough for many people at the moment, and you might be worried about how you are going to pay your bills over the winter. We have gathered together lots of useful information to help you organise your finances and understand the links between money and mental health.
- Not heard from someone for a while or worried about someone who keeps telling you they are okay? Reach out to see if you can help. Not sure where to start? Our talking tips can make it easier to get them to open up.
- Support a local charity by fundraising, making a donation or offering your time as a volunteer. Up and down the country there are many charities making a huge difference and other community organisations like food banks who rely on the support of others.
- Want to help a fellow Primordial Member out with their subscription, why not sub-a-sub?
- If you are in England or Wales, support or find out more about Mind’s campaign, “Raise the Standard” which is about turning awareness into action. Find out more and download Mind’s World Mental Health Day materials.
- If you are in Scotland, find out more about SAMH
- Support the Mental Health Foundation by wearing a green ribbon for WMHD and #PinItForMentalHealth
- Support Young Minds, the UK’s leading charity fighting for children and young people’s mental health, by wearing yellow this WMHD for their campaign #HelloYellow
- Download the World Federation for Mental Health’s WMHD campaign toolkit for more ideas of how to get involved.
Find out more about World Mental Health Day.
If you want any further information about how we are supporting better mental health within our community, please see the links below:
- Our Mental Health Pledge
- Access our Mental Health Online Hub
- #PRFam Mental Health Group
- Primordial Support Services
If you are worried about someone’s mental health, don’t be afraid to suggest that they phone a helpline (such as Samaritans on 116 123) or speak to their GP about how they have been feeling.